First and foremost, a February 2017 survey, reported that nearly 51 percent of Americans experienced stress often or sometimes. And some of the causes of this stress are described below.
Now, taking on too many things to do either at work or at home means you likely will be time pressed to complete them. So, the most obvious way to solve this is to be honest with yourself and only take on as much as you are reasonably able to do. Meanwhile, other causes of work stress include the ones listed below.
- Not being happy with your job
- Having a heavy workload
- Or, having too much responsibility
- Working long hours
- Poor management
- Expectations of your work not clear
- Or, having no say in the decision-making process
- Working under dangerous conditions
- Being insecure about your chance for advancement or risk of termination
- Having to give speeches in front of colleagues
- Facing discrimination or harassment at work, especially if your company isn’t supportive
Next, the inability to manage time well creates stress. By the way, managing time is solved by assigning priorities to whatever you have to do and doing them as quickly as you can. Most of all, it’s important to not spend more time than necessary to finish a task simply because it was enjoyable. Because spending more time than necessary creates stress in trying to complete other remaining things that are not so enjoyable.
Meanwhile, other causes of poor time management also include those listed below.
- Not having clear time management goals
- Wasting time because you’re not motivated
- Not planning your time well
- Having a poor sense of time
- Being absent minded
- Or, procrastinating things to be done
- Being disorganized
- Not being ineffective at delegating work
- Having, low energy
- Being depressed
- Being reactive rather proactive
- Failing to begin with a vision or plan and communicating it to others
- Finally, failure to focus on high priority tasks
Yet another cause of stress are relationship conflicts either at home or at work. For example, there may be disagreement on how to do things. Above all, relationship conflicts are difficult to solve, so the best thing is to arrive at a solution that’s reasonably OK with both parties and move on.
Meanwhile, other causes of conflicts in relations are listed below.
- Being too busy to spend time with each other and share responsibilities
- Intimacy and sex become rare due to being too busy, having health problems, and any number of other reasons
- Diminished communications between you and the other person
- Consuming too much alcohol and/or using drugs
- You or your partner are thinking about divorce
- Abuse or control in the relationship
Discord in the family creates unfortunate stress. Some of the causes of events that create stress are listed below.
- The death of a loved one
- Loss of a job
- Increase in financial obligations
- Getting married
- Moving to a new home
- Chronic illness or injury
- Emotional problems such as depression, anxiety, anger, grief, guilt, or low self-esteem
- Taking care of an elderly or sick family member
- Traumatic events such as a natural disaster, theft, rape, or violence against you or a loved one
Some of the financial problems, that cause stress, are listed below.
- Debt levels keep increasing
- Need to pay off your debt
- Having little or no savings
- High student loan
- Having to pay for education
- Desiring or wanting a better lifestyle
- A stock market that is very volatile
- Unable to count on the real estate to help out financially
- A complex financial market
- Having no formal education on money
- Expenses exceeding income
- Having to pay a mortgage or rent
- Not having a stable income
- Not having enough money for an emergency
- Not being able to retire
First and foremost, many of the causes of stress, listed above, are very difficult to resolve and may take a long time. Consequently, managing stress is the only realistic choice to maintain your health. Fortunately, there are many ways to relieve long term stress.
- Exercise regularly, because exercise boosts the production of endorphins which helps improve mood and reduce stress. By the way, if you are not into exercising yet, you can start by using mini pedals in your home or office. These are great because you can use them while sitting and working in the office, or, reading a book at home. And, most of all, you can use them for one or two hours while getting some exercise.
- Try to get seven to eight hours of sleep every night.
- Or, use natural remedies to relieve the stress.
- Finally, try mindfulness, a technique that can have a positive impact on stress, anxiety, and depression.