Dreaming about home renovation is easy, but it’s not the same when you have kids. Surviving home renovation with kids can be challenging. Especially for young families, the idea of achieving an ideal house seems a far-fetched dream. But how can you turn that dream into a reality?
Well, we are here to assist you. Your home can be beautifully redesigned and decorated in a family-friendly manner. Here are the top renovation ideas to help you create a home that works for your whole family including kids.
Here we go…
#1. Think strategically:
The home renovation process when you already have kids and elderly people at home needs to be accomplished strategically. Ensure you complete all renovation tasks at once only so that you don’t have to go through the same process again and again. Renovation can cause a huge disturbance and chaos to your daily routine so make sure there is at least one livable room left vacant all time.
#2. Buy Practical Furniture:
When buying furniture, pick pieces that prove practical for your whole family. Invest in quality pieces that are sturdy and can withstand long term wear and tear. Well, this doesn’t mean that you need to overlook the latest furniture designs and go for plain ugly couches and computer table designs. Whatever furniture you choose, should preferably boast of high quality and come with easy maintenance. Moreover, furniture pieces that you are likely to use for a longer duration for various purposes, should be durable and wipeable.
#3. Choose Fabrics Wisely:
Be it your draperies, bedding linens, carpets, or duvets, there is a specific fabric type you need to choose for keeping your home family-friendly. We have listed down some of the tried and tested trick to help you pick the right fabric type:
- Don’t be afraid to choose the light-colored fabrics as they don’t have the risk of fading. Also, light shades are good because they have a soothing effect.
- Choose bedding such as duvet covers, blankets, pillow covers that are machine washable.
- For seating upholstery use synthetic fibers and wipeable leather material.
- Prefer flat weaved heavy fabrics- these are easy to maintain.
- When selecting carpets, pick dark-hued woolen ones. The reasons being wool is naturally stain resistant.
Storage is one of the foremost requirements for having a family-friendly home renovation. To ensure your house is tidy and organized invest in good storage solutions.
- Buy multipurpose furniture pieces that double up as storage and decoration. For instance, ottomans with storage, couches with drawers, a double-tiered coffee table can help you save a lot of space.
- Install built-in storage cabinets and closets.
- Rent a self storage unit if needed to store all of the items that you don’t need in your everyday life such as excess furniture, winter clothing, and other personal souvenirs. Some also consider having a basement, if available. But of course, you should also check for its basement support beams if it’s sturdy or not for long-term use.
When thinking of family-friendliness, flooring is something you can’t ignore. For a family with kids, flooring has to survive a lot of wear and tear. Basically, hardwood floors are ideal for the purpose. They are easy to clean and radiate timeless elegance.
Hence, to achieve a perfect balance between aesthetic and family- friendliness, plan your home renovation as per the aforementioned tips.